Many people have heard about asbestos and how dangerous it can be. But not many people know that asbestos is actually a natural substance. Before its dangers were known, asbestos was commonly used in homes, buildings, and even throughout the United States military.
Beginning in the 1970s, various federal agencies banned the use of asbestos in many products. In our homes, these included gas fireplaces, electric hairdryers, and wallboard patching compound. Unfortunately, by the time federal agencies began to react, much of the damage was already done.
Over the last few decades, many people developed mesothelioma, a deadly lung disease, from working around asbestos. Other workers developed lung cancer and many other diseases and disorders.
Until recently, not many people thought about whether these workers brought asbestos home on their clothing. As it turns out, some wives and families of workers developed these same horrible diseases from being exposed to asbestos fiber on their loved ones’ clothing. This is called “take-home” asbestos exposure.
A Louisiana family recently received a $7 million verdict in a take-home exposure case. In the case, the husband worked around asbestos from Ingersoll-Rand compressors every day. His wife, who washed his clothes, developed mesothelioma and died from it. His family brought a lawsuit to recover for her death.
The jury awarded the family significant money damages. It specifically found that the wife had been exposed to “asbestos dust and fibers” from her husband’s clothes. It awarded the family $7 million.
Exposure to harmful chemicals and substance is dangerous and causes illness to many people every year. If you or a loved one were diagnosed with a severe illness due after working in or around a harmful substance, you may be entitled to money damages. For a free case evaluation, contact the experienced personal injury lawyers at Wright Pichon & Gray.