A closer look at the legal concept that governs most cases when you are injured on someone else’s property.
A property owner has a duty of care to his or her tenants or visitors. This duty includes ensuring that all the infrastructure is safely working and can be used by anyone. A similar duty is held by businesses. Employees and visitors to a business should be able to enter a property without having to worry about their safety. However, this isn’t always the case. In many situations, the dangerous condition of stairwells or elevators may lead to injury. In such a case, contacting a premises liability attorney is the best step forward.
Premises liability is a personal injury lawsuit that may result from an accident on property owned by someone else. These plaintiffs can get help from experienced personal injury attorneys who specialize in this type of litigation. Typically, these injuries are due to a property owner’s negligence in the upkeep of his or her holdings.
Many personal injury cases are based on negligence, and premises liability cases are no exception. In order to win this type of case, the injured person must prove that the property owner was negligent with respect to ownership and/or maintenance of the property. In simple terms, negligence means that the property owner failed to use reasonable care in connection with the property.
It’s important to be aware that simply because you were injured on someone’s property does not always imply that the property owner was negligent. Further, simply because the specific property might have been in a risky condition does not automatically mean that the homeowner was negligent. A Baton Rouge premises liability lawyer can help find evidence show that the property owner knew or should realistically have known that the premises were in an unsafe condition, and still failed to take proper steps to cure the specific situation.
Take a closer look at the variety of cases.
Baton Rouge Premises Liability Guide
What Kinds of Premises Liability Lawsuits Are There?
Several types of hazardous conditions can form the basis of premises liability claims. A lot of the things that constitute reasonable care in dealing with the unsafe condition of infrastructure should be obvious to a property owner. For example, while an owner may not need to immediately fix a broken staircase, they should have things in place to ensure that someone won’t fall because of the staircase’s condition. Elements such as caution tape or warning signs constitute taking the care needed to inform a reasonable person of potential danger.
Premises liability accidents cause as many as thirty million emergency room visits per year, according to the CDC. Business owners such as owners of grocery stores or office buildings can be subject to these types of premises liability action. Among the most common property liability claims that a Baton Rouge premises liability lawyer may encounter include:
- Swimming Pool Accidents
- Negligent Security
- Water Leaks or Flooding leading to Inundation
- Elevators are becoming more and more complex in recent years. Owners will typically put in a lot of money to make sure that they can be reliable, safe, and efficient all the time.
- Snow and Ice Hazards
- Defective Sidewalks
- Slip and Fall Hazards (slippery Floor, sidewalk, etc.)
- Dog Bite Attacks
- Toxic Fumes
- A balcony or porch collapses unexpectedly and you find yourself in a scene of destruction. Hopefully, it’s just minor, but it may take some time to put everything back where it belongs.
- To identify unstable areas
If a client is struggling with an accident, their risk of harm may be substantial. An attorney can help them get the compensation they deserve by suing the relevant party involved. Don’t worry about being liable for things like premises liability law when you have insurance. It’s designed to protect individuals, but this is an arbitrary decision. Depending on your location, it can make a big difference. Work with your insurance company in order to understand what the best plan for you is going to be at all times. In order to sue someone in court, the injured person must have been hurt. If the injury existed before the case, then they can’t win.
How are Premises Liability Lawyers Useful?
If you’re on someone else’s property when something happens, you should still seek out the proper redress. You could contact a premises liability lawyer to help you. At work, you must prove a person or company guilty of negligence. In order to do this, you must show how the defendant hurt you in some way. If someone slips and falls on a wet floor, they may be liable for damages.
It is the owner’s responsibility to make sure their property is free of any accidents. When injury occurs, it can often be difficult to identify where the accident took place. There are a few ways to start proving who is at fault for the incident – one includes figuring out whether or not there was any hazard present. However, in some cases, you can show that a reasonable individual would have known about the hazards being present, even though the owner wasn’t informed of them explicitly.At our law firm, we hope you never find yourself in a situation where you’re the victim of unscrupulous individuals or have to file a premises liability claim. We provide several safeguards to prevent this from happening and are dedicated to serving our clients honestly. In these cases, it is sometimes difficult to prove that the property owner had a duty of care towards you, which is what can cause people to suffer injury. However, if your situation pertains to a person who was injured at their own property by something they knew was there and which they would not have been able to hurt themselves on without intersectionality, you may receive compensation for the injuries sustained. This duty will vary from state to state and an experienced attorney will be able to guide you on what applies in Baton Rouge.
If you have a complete personal injury claim and it’s been going ignored for too long, you may have to take legal action on your own and aim for compensation. This might be time intensive and require that you find the right company to handle your case before proceeding. Numerous lawsuits happen each day and for the best interest of your lawsuit to proceed, you must be able to identify who is ultimately responsible. If a property owner’s coverage doesn’t specify which type of liability it is, then the delivery company that manages their liability will have to make themselves part of the case.
How a Premises Liability Lawyer Can Help If You Were Injured on Someone Else’s Property
Hiring a Baton Rouge personal injury attorney gives you some benefits of having someone who can act on your behalf. They help to bring your case to a close and may provide you with legal support such as:
- Independent investigations: When property disputes between parties don’t match, an independent investigation may be needed to find the truth. In such cases, there are often differing views on what happened.
- Figure Out the Circumstances: The circumstances surrounding a personal injury can help your lawyer put together evidence to present in court. This is an important aspect of the legal process.
- Show Liability:Will an attorney work tirelessly to ensure that you’re able to prove liability? It is essential for the attorney to examine all evidence, and it may be required for you to hire an expert witness.
- Build a case and Design a Strategy for Winning: Legal proceedings are crucial to the success of any personal injury claim. It is essential that you have a good legal team behind you as well as negotiating skills.
- Be Your Counsel in Negotiations: When you’re negotiating, it can be difficult to tell if someone else is negotiating for you. Ultimately, this decision has to be made by yourself. Just make sure that if you are dealing with insurance companies, they will likely have a law firm representing them alongside your negotiations. When you’re talking to a lawyer, it’s always best to enlist their help – even if you’re not an expert in that area. A liability attorney may be able to talk for you and perhaps come up with some clever ideas for how to better approach this negotiation.
- Represent You: If you get sued by a customer, it’s important to have your Baton Rouge personal injury lawyer on the case. As an expert in personal injury law, they’ll be able to help you fight for what’s right.
Connect with a Baton Rouge Premises Liability Lawyer
Our firm is known for getting clients their settlements quickly and easily. We charge no upfront costs and offer free consultations before signing anything.
Injuries and Compensation
It’s not uncommon to see injury victims suffering from severe head injuries such as brain injuries. It can lead to bad pain, consequences and lasting life changes for the plaintiff. Wet floors can also cause dangerous spinal cord injuries that may result in a long-term impact on the individual’s physical well-being. Sometimes you get lucky and realize you don’t have a good case. There are many things that can happen when suing someone, so it’s best to make sure you know the facts. Injuries vary in severity, which can provide you with compensation outside of court or settlement.
Negligent property owners who don’t maintain their property properly may be held liable and ordered to pay financial compensation to the plaintiff. If there is permanent damage, the court may order them to manage the medical bills of damaged individual over time. To top it off, if the premise owner is found to be responsible for the incident, they may be subject to punitive damages.
Choosing a Premises Liability Lawyer
If you’re considering a premises liability case, it’s important to know that there are different lawyers who specialize in cases like yours. You should also carefully research your options and consider which ones may be most appropriate for your situation. Wright & Gray has the legal expertise you need to see your case to successful completion. They also provide consultations with attorneys for just $200.