Mardi Gras and the Jazz and Heritage Festival bring troves of locals and tourists onto the streets of New Orleans each year. Many hire Uber or Lyft drivers to safely transport them from bars and restaurants to their hotels and homes. But like other motor vehicles on the road, rideshare vehicles are not immune to accidents. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in an Uber or Lyft accident, you deserve compensation for your medical bills, lost income, and other expenses. Contact a New Orleans rideshare accident lawyer at Wright Gray Law Firm today, and let’s discuss your case.
New Orleans Rideshare Accident Guide
- What is My New Orleans Rideshare Accident Worth?
- What Are the Requirements for Rideshare Drivers in New Orleans?
- What Type of Insurance are New Orleans Rideshare Drivers Have?
- How can a Rideshare Attorney in New Orleans Help with My Accident Claim?
- Contact the New Orleans Rideshare Accident Lawyers at Wright Gray Law Firm Today
Why Choose Wright Gray Law Firm for Your Rideshare Accident Claim?
Two trusted New Orleans personal injury lawyers with a combined 60 years of experience established Wright Gray Law Firm to help clients who suffered injuries in accidents seek justice against the negligent parties and their insurance companies. This powerful legal team has recovered tens of millions of dollars in compensation through settlements, judgments, and verdicts for their clients in their greatest time of need. The New Orleans rideshare accident lawyers at Wright Gray Law Firm fight for justice with military-like precision and preparation to help ensure that accident victims get full and fair compensation for their personal injury claims.
Do I have a Rideshare Accident Case?
Motor vehicle accidents are on the rise in Louisiana, including the parish of Orleans, according to the latest data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Louisiana saw a 14% increase in traffic fatalities compared to while fatalities in Orleans Parish increased by 16%. Nearly 3,000 accidents occur in New Orleans annually, resulting in roughly 4,800 injuries.
If you or a family member suffered injuries in an accident involving any of the following scenarios, you may have grounds for an Uber or Lyft accident claim if you were:
- A passenger in a rideshare vehicle involved in a crash
- An occupant of another vehicle that was struck by an Uber or Lyft driver
- An operator or rider of a motorcycle hit by a rideshare driver
- A pedestrian hit by an Uber or Lyft driver while crossing the street or walking along the street or sidewalk
- Hit by a rideshare driver while riding a bicycle
What is My New Orleans Rideshare Accident Worth?
The value assigned to your accident hinges on the extent of the damages you have suffered. The term “damages” refers to the injuries and losses a person suffers in an accident. Identifying the full scope of these damages often requires a more extensive investigation, and most people without a legal background don’t have the understanding nor the time to embark on such a probe.
Insurance companies generally won’t take the time needed to identify all the damages you suffer in an accident because it is not in their best interest. They are looking to protect their profits and will instead offer you a settlement that doesn’t match the true extent of your losses.
The rideshare accident attorneys at Wright Gray strongly encourage accident victims to consult with a lawyer before accepting an offer from the insurance company. If you accept compensation from an insurance company without understanding the extent of your damages, you will be unable to go back to the insurer and ask for more should your injuries require more medical treatment or you are unable to work for longer than anticipated.
What Damages Determine the Value of an Uber or Lyft Accident?
In a rideshare accident in New Orleans, you may be eligible for compensation for various types of damages, depending on the specifics of the accident and the resulting injuries. These can include:
- Medical expenses: You can seek compensation for medical bills related to your injuries, such as hospital stays, surgeries, doctor’s appointments, prescription medications, rehabilitation, and ongoing medical treatments. This includes both current and future medical bills.
- Lost wages: If your injuries prevent you from working and earning income, you can pursue compensation for the wages you’ve lost during your recovery period. This includes both current and potential future income if your injuries have long-term effects on your ability to work.
- Pain and suffering: This category covers the physical and emotional distress you’ve experienced due to the accident and your injuries. Pain and suffering damages include both immediate pain and suffering as well as any lasting effects on your quality of life.
- Property damage: If your personal property was damaged in the accident, you may be entitled to compensation to repair or replace it. This includes possessions such as your vehicle, bicycle, or smartphone.
- Emotional distress: If the accident caused significant emotional trauma, anxiety, or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), you might be able to seek compensation for the emotional distress you’ve endured.
- Loss of consortium: This refers to compensation for the impact the accident has had on your relationships with family members, particularly a spouse, due to injuries or emotional distress.
The specific damages you can seek compensation for in a rideshare accident will depend on the circumstances of the accident, the severity of your injuries, and the evidence you can provide to support your claims. To navigate the legal process effectively and maximize your potential compensation, we recommend consulting with a personal injury attorney who handles rideshare accidents in New Orleans or Louisiana. They can provide personalized guidance based on the unique details of your case.
What Other Factors Affect the Value of a Rideshare Accident Case?
The value of your Lyft or Uber accident claim will also depend on other factors, such as:
- The severity of your injuries
- Present and future medical expenses
- Whether your injuries are permanent, disabling, or disfiguring
- Whether you are able to return to work and earn income in the same capacity
- Whether you sought medical treatment after the accident and followed your doctor’s recommended treatment plan
- The strength of your evidence
- The strength of your eyewitness and expert testimony
- The level of your pain and suffering
What Are the Requirements for Rideshare Drivers in New Orleans?
Rideshare drivers in Louisiana must meet certain criteria before they can service riders, such as:
- Be at least 21 (Uber) or 25 (Lyft) years of age
- Have a valid Louisiana driver’s license (temporary licenses are acceptable)
- Pass a background check
- Have a smartphone that can download and run the rideshare app
- Provide proof of Louisiana automobile insurance
What Type of Insurance are New Orleans Rideshare Drivers Have?
Under Louisiana law, all drivers must carry liability insurance on any vehicle they own to cover medical expenses, lost wages, and property damage sustained by others in an accident caused by the driver. The minimum coverage required under Louisiana law is listed as 15/30/25, which provides:
- $15,000 for bodily injury per person
- $30,000 for bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 for property damage per accident
Uber and Lyft also provide additional coverage in the event one of their drivers is involved in an accident. Here’s a breakdown of the coverage they provide:
When the Driver App is Offline or Turned Off
The rideshare driver’s personal auto insurance coverage applies.
When the Driver is Available or Waiting for a Ride Request
The rideshare company provides the following coverage for third-party liability if their rideshare driver’s personal auto insurance doesn’t apply:
- $50,000 in bodily injury per person
- $100,000 in bodily injury per accident
- $25,000 in property damage per accident
When the Driver is In Route to Pick Up Riders and During Trips
Rideshare companies provide the following auto insurance on behalf of their drivers in the event of an accident:
- $1 million third-party liability
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist bodily injury and/or first-party injury insurance
- Contingent comprehensive and collision up to the actual cash value of the car with a $2,500 deductible
How can a Rideshare Attorney in New Orleans Help with My Accident Claim?
A rideshare accident lawyer in New Orleans can provide valuable assistance if you’ve been involved in an accident while using a rideshare service such as Uber or Lyft. Here’s how they can help you with your accident claim:
Rideshare accident lawyers specialize in the laws and regulations surrounding rideshare services, personal injury, and insurance. They have a deep understanding of how these laws apply in New Orleans.
Investigation and Evidence Gathering
The lawyer will thoroughly investigate the accident, gathering evidence such as accident reports, witness statements, photos, and any available video footage. This will help establish liability and support your claim.
Rideshare accidents can involve multiple parties, including the rideshare company, the driver, other drivers, and pedestrians. Your lawyer will work to determine who was at fault and who should be held responsible for the damages.
Rideshare companies have insurance policies that cover accidents involving their drivers. However, the coverage can vary depending on the circumstances of the accident. A lawyer will analyze the insurance policies involved to ensure you receive the maximum compensation available.
Communication with the Insurance Company
Dealing with insurance companies can be complex and time-consuming. A rideshare accident attorney can handle all communication with the relevant insurance companies on your behalf, ensuring that your rights are protected and that you don’t inadvertently say anything that could harm your claim.
Negotiation and Settlement
Your lawyer will negotiate with the responsible parties and their insurance companies to reach a fair settlement for your damages, which can include medical bills, property damage, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, your attorney can take your case to court. They will represent your interests and present your case to a judge and/or jury.
Understanding Complex Laws
Rideshare accidents can involve a mix of state, local, and federal laws. A rideshare accident lawyer in New Orleans will be well-versed in these laws and regulations, ensuring that your claim is handled correctly and within the legal framework.
Peace of Mind
Dealing with the aftermath of an accident can be overwhelming. Having a personal injury lawyer on your side can provide you with peace of mind, knowing that an experienced professional is handling the legal aspects of your claim, allowing you to focus on your recovery.
Contact the New Orleans Rideshare Accident Lawyers at Wright Gray Law Firm Today
Tourists and residents rely on Uber and Lyft drivers to transport them throughout New Orleans and surrounding areas. When a rideshare driver is involved in an accident, others can suffer injuries and incur losses such as medical bills, missed work, and disability. If you or a family member suffered injuries in an accident involving a Lyft or Uber, you might wonder where to turn for help. Contact the rideshare accident lawyers at Wright Gray at 888.912.4944 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation. Let us fight for full and fair compensation for all your accident injuries.
“Professional, personable, diligent, and thorough are just a few of the words I can use to describe this firm. From day one I felt I was in safe hands. The communication was open, honest and every promise was delivered upon. I felt at ease knowing I had a team that was passionate handling my case and I’m ever so grateful.” -Hadassah J. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wright Gray Trial Lawyers – New Orleans Office
201 St Charles Ave Suite 2710
New Orleans, LA 70170
P: (504) 616-6462