Around 4.5% or 1.5 million older adults currently reside in nursing homes. When you place your loved one in a residential care facility, you expect them to be safe and well-cared for.
Sadly, many nursing home facilities fall short of these promises. Nursing home neglect is a serious problem and can have fatal consequences. If your loved one is living in a nursing home, you need to be aware of what is nursing home abuse.
Here are 6 signs that it’s time to call a nursing home abuse lawyer.
1. Physical Abuse
Watch for any sudden injuries or physical issues of an unknown cause. If the nursing home staff cannot explain issues such as a broken or fractured bone, sprains, burns, bruises, or a sexually transmitted disease, consider it a red flag.
One in 6 elders is a victim of abuse in nursing care facilities. If you suspect your loved one has been a victim of nursing home abuse in Shreveport, contact an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer right away.
2. Emotional Abuse
You know your loved one’s normal personality and disposition. If you notice sudden changes in their mood or behaviors, it could indicate emotional abuse.
Signs to look for include:
- Withdrawal from normal social activities
- An abrupt change in normal behavior
- Isolation initiated by the caregiver
- Failure to engage
- A caregiver who is demeaning, uncaring, or aggressive
- Signs of anxiety or stress
3. Sexual Abuse
Unfortunately, sexual abuse does occur in nursing homes. Signs to look for include bruising, swelling, or trauma around the genitals or the appearance of a sexually transmitted disease.
4. Neglect or Abandonment
Issues of neglect or abandonment are all too common in nursing home facilities. Signs to look for include:
- Improper administration of medication
- Deteriorating personal hygiene
- Dirty living space
- Lack of food
- Soiled clothing or bedding
- Bedsores or skin ulcers
- Lack of basic necessities, including water, heat, or electricity
5. Financial Exploitation
Most nursing home residents are no longer in charge of their financial affairs. This makes them vulnerable to financial exploitation.
Signs of financial exploitation include:
- Unpaid bills or inability to pay monthly bills
- Giving unexpected or excessive gifts, especially to non-family members
- Giving away all financial control to a caregiver
- Inability to explain new financial transactions
6. Healthcare Fraud
Vulnerable older adults are often the target of healthcare fraud. Signs to look for include:
- Unnecessary or unexpected medical tests, treatment, or equipment
- Excessive diagnostic tests
- A caregiver who cannot explain medical expenditures
- Billing to medical providers or insurers for services not provided
Contact a Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer
When your loved one goes into a nursing home facility, you hope they will live out their years in peace and security. Unfortunately, too many older vulnerable adults are victims of elder abuse.
It’s important to recognize the signs of abuse or neglect so you can help protect your loved one. If you notice any of these troubling signs, contact the best nursing home abuse lawyer in Shreveport.
The Personal Injury Lawyers of Wright Gray will investigate your claim to determine if legal action is the next best step.
Contact Wright Gray today for a free consultation.