You Have to Do These Things after a Car Wreck

Nov 21, 2016

In every state, if you are in a car wreck, there are certain things you must do under the law. What you must do depends on the law of the state where the accident happens. In Louisiana, in most cases, you must stop, provide notice, exchange information, and file a report. If you do not do these things, you are at risk for being charged with hit and run.

In all accidents where a person is injured or killed or where there is $500 of damage or more, drivers have the following duties:

  • Give notice: Contact law enforcement by the quickest means possible, usually by calling on a cell phone. If the accident occurred in city limits, contact the local police. If the accident did not occur in a city, contact either the Sheriff’s office or state police station.
  • Exchange information: Next, drivers exchange their names, addresses, and vehicle registration numbers. If asked by an injured person or another driver, you must also show your driver’s license or permit. You must also provide all of this information to any police officer who shows up at the scene of the accident or who investigates the accident later.

In all accidents where a person is hurt or killed or where there is $100 of damage or more, you must also “forward a written report of the accident to the Department of Public Safety and Corrections.” You must send this report within 24 hours of the accident. If you do not, you may be charged with a crime punishable by 60 days in jail and a fine of up to $100.

There are some common misconceptions about when this law applies. It does not matter if someone else caused the accident or if you could not avoid the accident. If someone was hurt or killed or if there is $500 of damage or more, you must still give notice and exchange information.

It also does not matter whether you hit a parked car or even a building with no one in or around it. If the accident caused at least $500 damage, you must still give notice. If the accident caused at least $100 worth of damage, you must still file the written report.

If you or a loved one were injured in an accident, you may be entitled to money damages. The attorneys at Wright Pichon & Gray know that accidents cause can completely change your life. We will help you get back on track. Contact us today for a free case review.

If you or someone you know has been injured, protect your future and your rights

Contact Wright Gray TODAY for legal guidance

Scroll to Top